A Guest Post by Patricia Bradley
As a writer, I know how important conferences are. A lot of what I know about writing was learned by attending different ones.
But at my first one, I made so many mistakes, it’s a wonder I wasn’t banned for life. Practically stalked a poor editor, certain she wanted to read my manuscript.
But it was at that first conference that I began my journey as an author and where I took my first workshops in the craft of writing.
Workshops can teach writers how to write professionally and get their work in front of agents and editors. (That way you don’t have to stalk them.)
We have workshops at the Mid-South Christian Writers Conference that will help you to craft your stories, whether fiction or nonfiction. If you are a writer, or even think you might like to try your hand at stringing words together, and you are wondering if you should attend this one, let me give you a few reasons to say yes.
- You’ll find other writers who ‘get’ you. They talk to themselves, too. And a lot of them talk to imaginary people who are very real to them.
- You will be challenged. And let’s face it—we all need to be challenged.
- You will find craft classes that will help you reach your writing goals.
- Whether you write fiction or non-fiction, there is something at the conference for you.
- You will be able to talk to successful authors, one on one, who can answer your questions about publishing.
- The fellowship is wonderful. Writers are some of the most caring and encouraging people I’ve ever met.
- You’ll have opportunities to purchase books from some of your favorite authors.
- There are non-fiction classes geared to teach you how to write devotionals, blogs, and humor.
- Fiction classes will talk about writing mysteries, romance, secondary characters and finding out whether you are a plotter or a panster organic writer.
- And one class will teach how to organize your notes. Don’t know about you, but I definitely need that one!
So there you have ten reasons for attending. There are more, but I said ten. If I add another one, I’ll have to change the title.
P.S. The Meet and Greet on Friday night is one of our best kept secrets!
Patricia Bradley lives in North Mississippi and loves to write romance and suspense with a twist of romance. Her books include the Logan Point series. She has also written two sweet romances for Harlequin Heartwarming all available at Amazon. Her workshops on writing include two online courses with American Christian Fiction Writers and workshops at the Mid-South Christian Writer’s Conference in Collierville, TN. When she has time, she likes to throw mud on a wheel and see what happens.
Patricia’s Workshop (taught with Johnnie Alexander)
Telling the Story: I Wrote It My Way
You may be a plotter, outlining every scene before you begin, or you may be an organic writer, writing by the seat of your pants, or you may be somewhere in between. Two experienced novelists share tips and ideas for writing fiction the right way—that is, the way that works best for you and for your story.